Friday, May 29, 2009

The Goodluck Cat

While Chinese culture does not include cat as a favorite pet, Japanese does. I never understand it until I took the Children Literature class at CSULA two years ago. In this class, part of my projects, I had to search for fifty books with author name, title of book, year of publishing and the summary of the book.
I went to the South Pasadena library, spent two hours in the children section, sitting on the tiny, wooden chair, and table. I felt like a kid myself going over shelves and shelves of books. There I found the book called "Manekineko".
The author wrote a story about the boy who loved to draw cats. His parent was very upset and told him to leave. So, he took all his drawings and walked miles and miles away from home. One night, he stopped at ruined temple and went in for some rest. He found none around. Hw started to draw pictures and pictures of cats everywhere on the wall, rooms to rooms ... Hungry and tired, he hid himself in one of closet to sleep. At night, he heard so much noise of animals fighting and screaming. The next day, when he woke up, he saw so many blood stains everywhere. At the time, the monks came out to thank him. The boy knew that the cats from his drawings had become alive and helped to save the temple from the gremlins.
Lucky Cat
That's why I choose Manekineko for my blog's name!

8 comments:

  1. I have some gremlins I'd like to be rid of. Can you help with some really good cat drawings? No, seriously . . . I enjoyed this story. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, when I read 'fighting and screaming..' and 'blood stains everywhere', at first I thought that the drawn cats had come alive and started killing each other! Pheewwww, since it's gremlins they killed, then yippppeeeee! Reminded of me the Gremlins movies (there were 2, I believe, starring Phoebe Cates) and how nasty they looked when they turned evil...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juniper,thanks for visiting my blog! I guess I know who you are. As I can tell who Rofucius is.

    You can buy the manekineko everywhere at Little Tokyo, downtown LA and place it somewhere in your room. Hope it works!

    My next blog will be about the Chinese matching elements between husband and wife. Still working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will see Manekinekos at any Japanese restaurants because these cats will welcome the customers with good luck! I have not read the book but it sounds interesting. Is the author Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, he is an American writer. But if you search on line, the story is the same. Here is the links you can read more about the cat.
    http://www.namaii.com/manekineko/
    http://cats.about.com/cs/manekineko/a/manekineko.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered why Japanese honors the cat, or use it as a good luck charm.

    I wonder what kind of history it is from... hmmm?
    Do you have any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always see those cats at restaurants and other places and had to clue about their meaning and association with Japanese/Chinese culture. Very interesting. I will not look at one of those cats the same way after reading this post lol
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found out the meaning of the fat cat last Saturday, when my daughter and I went to the Asian Pacific Museum for a family fair and a Japanese man explained its meaning to me. So thank you for the story! Talk about comprehensible input!

    ReplyDelete